Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Going Hard

 I wake up and my head is already cluttered. "You should meditate. Do yoga. Become a goat herder". I hear my Mom's calm sweet voice in the back of my head. No can do, Ma, I'm too busy having full-on, energetic sext with my clothes on, in a parking garage in my imagination, while I'm reviewing all the half-pretentious sounding crap I may or may not have said yesterday in a meeting, and wondering about how the pain in my stomach feels like it might be a cancerous growth that is already terminal and leaving me with possibly 3 months to live if I'm lucky. No time! All this and I haven't gotten out of bed yet.

Deep breath. And release.

I know I've been on this topic for a while now: my cluttered head, but it seems to be getting worse. It used to be that I needed peace and silence at 4:30 am to write; now I need to be in a noisy room and on the phone. At the meeting, three of us sat at a long conference table with a black box in the middle which wired in voices of other people from Utah and New York. I stared at the box listening to the voices, while inside my head I was busy trying to shush the voice that was telling me this was weird.

Me:You're talking to a box right now.
Me 2: This is how it's done babe, would you just calm down.
Me: It's funny though.
Me 2: Just be cool.
Me: I am cool.
Me 2: You're not, but just pretend.
Me: What're you talking about, I just had sex on my iphone this morning.
Me 2: That's your imagination. This is real.
Me: Oh...wait, what?
Producer Running The Meeting: Did you want to say something Deirdre?

Breathe....and exhale.

I've been yelling at my kids to get off the phone which now means get off about 8 websites and social networks... and they are just sitting there quietly. Isn't this a good thing? Nothing seems wrong really...I try to go through the list of what I have to do, but random facts drop into my head like pebbles off a cliff before an avalanche. Get off the phone you guys! I just said the words get off. I need to look at that last sext one more time. What did he say again?....ahhh.

Deep breath.

I stopped by the side of the lake so I could send a text. I'm confessing to you that I would text while I drive but I literally can't see the letters. I don't have a choice. While I'm reaching for my glasses, I notice the people walking around the path, the air smells like eucalyptus and I get a brief glimpse of peace. I look at the phone. The text is direct and more exciting than you can imagine. He tells me what he wants to do to me.
Yeah, I want you to, I text back.
I close my eyes and breathe and try to shush the voice that says this feels sad and wrong. This is the 21st century. This is how it's done.

Namaste.





No comments:

Post a Comment