Thursday, May 6, 2010

Working out My Imagination

In boxing class there’s a part where you partner up and hold the bag while the other guy hits it. Last night the guy I partnered with was hitting it so hard I actually felt the wind from his right hook and saw stars. From the wind!
I imagined that he swung just an inch to the right, and in slow motion connected with the left side of my face, causing my right eye, nose and side of my mouth to scrunch up, and the sweat on my forehead to spray. I imagined falling to the ground. I imagined everyone hushing and the guy standing over me and saying, I’m so sorry, like he was under water. All I can see is black and then out of nowhere a clown in full costume and rainbow afro wig comes out of nowhere and throws a bucket of water over me. There is more hush. I turn onto all fours and shake it off like a dog. I slowly get to my feet and try to focus on the guy. I take a wide swinging arc with my arm, and with the force of it and the water on the floor I knock my own legs out from under myself, landing on my back, my legs dramatically coming down together and hitting the floor like 50 pound sacks of flour.
Then the bell rings and someone yells out 25 pushups people. Two five. And I say to the guy, you almost killed me.

1 comment:

  1. i like your imagination workout very hmmm eclectic, was the clown holding a sign with some religious quote or psalm verse? and what would it have been? (just a thought)i like where your heads at very creative thoughts i look forward to more organic exchanges from this blog and from you....

    ReplyDelete