Thursday, June 27, 2013

For Daniel Somers: One Positive Thing


It's weird to read something upsetting in the news and then just turn the page or click to the next site, but I do this every day. I don't know what else to do, and even saying that sounds shameful and idiotic and slightly victim-ish.

 Another thing I do every day is wonder about what to write on my blog. I think: "No one wants to read that". "Who cares?" "That's embarrassing!" "That's so self absorbed".  Then I convince myself that it's a good exercise. I convince myself that, well, I like to read other people's stories, maybe this will be interesting , or funny to someone else. And inevitably, at least once a week, I'll hear from someone who says "I like that", or "I get it", or even just "Haha!" And I think: connection!

This morning I read this suicide letter written by a vet from the Iraq War named Daniel Somers. I don't know how to respond to it except to say I think it's a story that should be heard. Please read it too and pass it along. It's not a solution really but maybe just listening is a way of making a connection. Which is one positive thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment