Thursday, August 5, 2010

Winnie the Sham

Yesterday's conversation in the car between Harry and Darla:
Isaac has to wear one of those Jewish hats.
It’s not called a Jewish hat.
What’s it called?
It’s called a Ka-bob.
(silence for 20 seconds)
I think a ka-bob is one of those stick things with zucchini and pepper.
No that’s a shishkaba.

This made me think of two things. First that it’s amazing to learn how to speak: what careful listening it requires, as well as a certain fearlessness to give it a try. Babies are great at this, as are most kids to the age of 10, when listening and fearlessness start to dim (maybe even before 10 really).
The second thing I thought was: How did Dar come up with Kabob? I mean I think it should be called a kabob and will call it that from now on, but how did that particular word pop up? Then I thought somehow her brain had filed it away under KA as in yam-a-KA (I know that’s not the right spelling). Mo did this too when she was little. She called Winnie the Pooh "Winnie the Sham" because somehow her brain had filed Pooh with sham-poo and she got them mixed.
I love that our brains have their own little filing system that we have nothing to do with.

No comments:

Post a Comment