Tuesday, March 8, 2011

40 Years Ago, March 8,1971: The Fight of The Century

I remember the morning after this fight, running to the front door to get the paper, because my brother Pete and I had a bet on the winner; we had traded sides about ten times "I want Frazier, you take Ali, no I want Ali....", it was hard to choose. I'd like to say I was always an Ali fan, but I grew up in Philadelphia and Frazier was the hometown guy. I thought he was handsome and quiet and serious, but I still laughed when Ali said said "Frazier is so ugly, he should donate his face to the US Department of Wildlife". Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! "Joe Frazier is so ugly, when he cries the tears turn around and go down the back of his head".

I got the paper and saw the headline: 15 Rounds, Frazier Wins, and remember being stunned. It was impossible not to believe everything Ali said. Who else can you say that about?

No comments:

Post a Comment