Friday, March 25, 2011

A Few Quicks

1. I love this photo. I find that lately I stare at any woman over the age of 45 who doesn't have dyed hair and pulled back skin. (Are they only in LA?) So beautiful.

2. I was reading about this author Neil Strauss, who has a book out called Everyone Loves you When You're Dead. He has some interesting guides on everything from playing poker to discovering the secret of life. Of the latter, he writes:

First of all, don’t expect to be happy all the time. If you’ve ever had a pet, you’ll notice that the pet doesn’t complain when it’s hurt or in pain. The human animal is the only one that says, “Why me?” -- as if it is our birthright to be happy all the time.

Sometimes we’re sad or angry or depressed. But if rather than fighting against it, like it’s wrong and some kind of disorder, you just relax into the emotion and ride it through until it’s over, it doesn’t have to be a gut-wrenching experience. It’s good to experience these extreme emotions: it let’s you know you’re alive and feeling.

3. And, lest you think I'm focused too completely on aging and death, here's the background soundtrack in my head and this too.

2 comments:

  1. You've given me something to think about today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin. Check out the Neil Strauss blog too and the one article he wrote for the Wall St Journal.

    ReplyDelete