Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hit Wonders



We went to see Macy Gray over the weekend at Darla's school. It made me think about whether or not it's a curse to be famous for one song and to have to trot it out at every show from Madison Square Garden to a fundraiser at your child's school. I mean yeah, of course it is, and I'm sure there are sad nights on the road where there are 20 or 100 or 4 people in the audience and it's impossible to muster the oomph to spit it out. But I think too, the thing that made it special in the first place: the perfect combination of lyrics and melody are always there, and sometimes just "spitting it out" is enough. Still, sometimes the way the person sings it, in a slightly different way, can make you feel like you are hearing it for the first time. I mean how great is the line "I try to say goodbye and I choke". How many paragraphs of description does that sum up? In 8 words? I think this is why it's called a wonder.




Everyone who rides in my car is sick of hearing this song, but I know they would feel differently if they watched him perform it.



The King. He makes it a story every time.


No comments:

Post a Comment