Saturday, January 9, 2010

Remember What it's Like

I could hear Dar and her friend Kaya running and sliding in their socks in the other room. They were laughing and screaming and falling down on top of each other. It was a great sound. There are times I hear that sound and I yell like an ogre from a cave. And then I feel bad later. But tonight instead of yelling, I remembered one night with my old friend Susie in the pool in her back yard. A huge puddle in the deep end had frozen and we must have been out there for two hours sliding around and pretending to skate. I was the announcer. “Ladies and gentlemen, we are here at the Kennedy arena tonight where little Susie will attempt the triple axel camel pier back flip halfhold… And here she is, the fans are going wild, she’s looking good, she’s looking confid- oh ladies and gentleman, oh that’s going to hurt, oh wait she appears to be… laughing, … wait, is this right?  she is jiggling ladies and gentleman, she can’t stop”…and on into the night until our faces were burning red from the cold air and we were sweating under our clothes .

No comments:

Post a Comment