Friday, August 5, 2011

Speed Reading

I can remember having a lot of reading to do in high school and then later in college, sometimes as much as 50 pages a night in 3 different subjects. Is that even possible? At one point, I looked into speed-reading courses. I did. “ Did you know that you can read 500 pages of Moby Dick in 4 minutes and have complete comprehension?” Sign me up!

I am by nature an optimist (some use the word delusional) but I decided not to give it a go. From the way I understood it, the technique involved skipping words, which didn’t seem to simplify things for me, but rather the exact opposite. The last thing I wanted to do was to have to concentrate more. Even though it would supposedly take less time, I now had to not only read, but also put the words together like a puzzle? No thanks. I did, however, try another technique and I realize I should be more embarrassed to tell you this, but you never know, I put my books (and sometimes if I was studying for a test: my notes) under my pillow at night. I can’t say that it helped but I also can’t say that it hurt. And it didn’t cost me a dime

No comments:

Post a Comment